wilt chamberlain taller than shaq

wilt chamberlain taller than shaq

Today's game runs less now than it did in the 60s, and Wilt was a better athlete than anyone now. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Andr the Giant Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "0156035219,B000MLWQ7W,B00B361IU6,B00B361IRY"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Move over Ian Thorpe, Matthew McGrory is listed in the Guinness World Records as having the largestshoe size at a whopping 29. What do you think of this comparison stuff thats going around, Wilt? A week later, on Saturday night, Georges dunk with 26.8 seconds left gave Asheville (11-3) the lead for good in a 61-58 victory at South Carolina. You know youre getting away with something. Asheville has a contract with Nike, which makes 12 pairs of size-26 shoes for George. When, he, Dwyane Wade and the Heat won the championship a season later, Shaq said he weighed about 325 pounds. Wilt's career . All that is to say, Shaq is undeniably one of the greatest the game has ever seen. Shaq at four. We tried not to go under the basket when hes in, because its useless, Buffalo Coach Reggie Witherspoon said. By his senior year, his feet had grown beyond size 23, the largest athletic shoe made. We might see an occasional dunk over Wilt today, but it wouldn't be anything like the way guys just go in and dunk over today's pathetic centers. About seven feet long. In fact, the only centers ahead of him in win shares happen to be Artis Gilmore and Wilt Chamberlain. // Jordan, Shaq, Harden The players who led to NBA rule changes And if he's content to bill himself at No. Along with being the NBA all-time leading scorer, Kareem also has an impressive film resume, with over 20 film/TV roles to date including a role in Stephen Kings mini-series The Stand. Kerr immediately knew what happened as soon as the ball hit his foot. His hands which were 9.5 inches in length and 11.5 inches in span were not particularly impressive for someone his size but they were still significantly bigger than the average. Near the end of a recent overtime victory against Buffalo, George received a standing ovation for his 21-point, 10-rebound, 6-block performance. Please logout and login again. He was 6-11, huge for a kid that age, but even then he had exceptionally good control of his body, said Latins coach, Dave VanderMeulen. He was always in shape, he worked out a lot during the offseason. Everybody and his mother has been calling to ask that, Wilt says. The 15 Largest Hand Sizes in NBA History - HowTheyPlay Shaq shared a list on social media . Today's centers wouldn't give him any problems. There were no sissy flagrant or hand-check fouls during that time. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "SHAQ Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B00LFE1S5G,B001F608J6,B0026ZL0I8,B00IDI7WP2"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Although you may not be familiar with the name Kevin Peter Hall you will definitely be familiar with themovies he stars in. Georges body kept growing. Shaq's career win share total is solid at 181.7, which ranks 13th all-time. Lakers from left Tyronn Lue, Brian Shaw, Robert Horry, Shaquille ONeal and Ron Harper in Philadelphia. The guy averaged 46 min/game over his entire career. Georges joints are under considerable stress, and everything from buying shoes to going out with his friends can be difficult. They'd hack him and send him to the line, and hope he makes one out of two. The only thing I can say, ONeal said, is thanks.. Shaquille O'Neal recalls when Wilt Chamberlain didn't want to Wilt Chamberlain is unquestionably one of the best players to ever play at the center position in the NBA. Anyway, Wilt could bench press 550lbs back in college. Against the Celtics it would be Bill Russell, with (Tom) Heinsohn on one side and K.C. Nirjhar Sharma is an NBA writer at EssentiallySports. Some quotes regarding of Wilt's superiorstrength: For more further comparison between Shaq and Wilt, check out my other article, click. Could Wilt Chamberlain have dominated Shaq? - YouTube If you watch Kareem and I both run the court end to end, theres no way youd say he had a more graceful style. Wilt only ever starred in one film, however when your only film is starring alongsideArnold Schwarzenegger as the club-swinging Bombaatain the 1984 sequel to Conan the Barbarian Conan the Destroyer. Illegal defense had already been in place since 1947. If you can imagine anyone dislocating Lebron's shoulder while blocking his shot, that's what it was like when Wilt did that to Gus. Shaq actually takes the points category this time, averaging 29.7 to Wilt's 24.1, but Chamberlain dominates in every other domain - showing the stark transition from '62 to '67, as the Big Dipper conciously became less of a score-first player and more of a piece of the puzzle rather than the whole puzzle itself. When I averaged 50, and 44, my points came off jump shots, and hooks from time to time. But is Shaq selling himself short in agreeing he's the fourth-best of the bunch? And his ball handling skills were good enough for him to make the Harlem Globetrotters. I think its totally unfair to compare Shaquille with me. In his career, he averaged 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists. When he left L.A. to join the Miami Heat for the 2004-05 season, he said he weighed 315 pounds. Shaquille ONeal has carved his name in the world of basketball through his outstanding performances. The Youtube guy in charge of "Wilt Chamberlain Archive" adds these Shaq and Wilt facts: Draftexpress updated Shaq's height without shoes to only 7 foot even, not 7 foot 1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar vs. Shaquille O'Neal 4-3. Andre The Giant as he was known had many famous run ins with Hulk Hogan in the 1980s and it was only a matter of time before his larger than life personality transcended wrestling and in to the entertainment industry. Hes got to learn to score without going inside all the time.. The following season he was at 265 pounds, before finally getting up to 395 pounds in his final title in Los Angeles. Did you know that Tim Robbins is in actual fact taller than Michael Richards (Kramer in Seinfeld)? However most notable are his cameo roles in comedic classics such as Baseketball, Mighty Ducks 2 and of course the 1980 Zucker bros comedy Airplane! Goggles in Hilarious Sequence, Full Spectrum Services LLP 2022 | All Rights Reserved. Shaq talks about Wilt Chamberlain - YouTube When was Kareem at his physical peak? Why doesnt Laettner come in with the burden of having to prove hes as good as Larry Bird? The league really didn't know how to handle Wilt, and subconsciously, the refs let the little guys get away with murder. Tall NBA Players Who Had Relatively Short Parents - Opera News following NBA for many years now. According to an updated ranking list by Bleacher Report, Chamberlain is currently ranked in the top five among all the greats who played center. Sharpe also conceded Shaq could have been higher on the list perhaps even the best player ever if the big man had maintained a more dedicated mindset in the offseason. He was academically ineligible his first year at Asheville and lost the entire next season after he dislocated a knee in the preseason, requiring major surgery. MCDONOUGH, GEORGIA APRIL 07: Shaquille ONeal speaks during Pepsi Stronger Are you kidding me? Tim Duncan stayed loyal to the San Antonio Spurs, wherein he averaged 19 points, 10.8 rebounds, three assists, and 2.2 blocks per game. Wilt Chamberlain height is 7ft 1 or 215.9 cm tall. Defensive goaltending was instituted way back during Mikan's college days (pre-1950's). Right when he entered the league and was averaging 34/16 or the early Laker years where his stats were slightly less but most considered him the best player by far? Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular. Was Wilt Chamberlain Better Than Kareem Abdul Jabbar? Shaq was a dominant force throughout a career that spanned nearly two decades from the 1992-93 season to 2010-11. Wilt Chamberlain is overrated; Hakeem is the GOAT WATCH THIS STORY: LeBron James Quotes That Will Inspire You to Keep Going. But due to dissatisfaction with the front office and local media, he left for LA. He could bench press 550lbs back in college. Anshika Rai is an NBA writer at EssentiallySports. This adds merit to the . George grew up on the North Side of Chicago. Shaquille O'Neal vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Comparison: Who Is The - MSN Shaquille O'Neal rates himself fourth behind Kareem, Wilt and Russell Wilt was 63 when he died.Did you ever see Charles Barkley play? This season, George wears braces on both knees as a preventative measure and says his joints have not caused any problems. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, Lakers vs. Warriors: What scouts expect in playoff series, Kentucky Derby storylines: Training death puts early pall over Churchill Downs. Theyre actually not that tall is what you will often hear from people retelling run in withsaid famous person at the airport or hotel lobby. Bill Russell, the second best rebounder in league history and the center on which he grabbed a record setting 55 rebounds (but the Celtics won the game by three points) is also 6'10". // But why listen to me ramble on about the currently hot, trumped-up, then-vs.-now duel between the Shaq and the Big Dipper? Jimmy Butler and Tom Thibodeau remain linked. It wasnt until1977 when he played infamous badass Jaws in the James Bond filmThe Spy Who Loved Me that Richard really shot to fame. (Photo by Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images). Standing at 7-feet tall, Chamberlain was a stats padding machine. Or as good as me? Shaq is allowed to score some points that maybe he wouldnt get.. He was a track sprinter and high jumper. Someone has to come out as a loser. Shaq is faster, jumps better, is quicker and is more of a force in the NBA. Let's compare the so called strongest player ever "Shaq" to Wilt. The NBA enacted rules to stop Wilt somehow. I guess by the time Nate came into the league I wasnt shooting the ball much, four or five times a game. The New Jersey Nets, back in the 80's, were still actively wooing him back out of retirement when Wilt was already going 50 (in an 80's Lakers exhibition scrimmages, Wilt at center held a Magic Johnson-lead team scoreless).Wilt's listed 275lbs weight is his un-updated college weight. In later years, they did this because they felt sorry for Wilt because he couldn't shoot free throws very well. He was 6'10 and considered a freak by his opponents. The question now is: Will we ever see a center who could threaten his place in the pecking order? Use of this website (including any and all parts and components) constitutes your acceptance of these. This got us thinking whothe 10 tallest movie stars everare? Jones dropping back to help. Its great to see, because while hes a great player, hes also a great person., 7 Feet 7 and 360 Pounds, With Bigger Feet Than Shaqs, https://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/sports/ncaabasketball/09asheville.html, Kenny George leads the nation in blocked shots per game. However, when . Refs allowed those physical tactics go unpunished because the owners and NBA management believe that blood and violence was what brought people to basketball games back then. But when I was scoring points, everyone double and triple-teamed me.. What would it be like if a prime 7'1'' 300-pounder with a 55" vertical and a 500 bench press came into the league now? Currently, he is a well-known analyst at ESPN and a famous businessman. (Incidentally, ONeal fouled out of his first NBA game.). ", "The first time I guarded Wilt, I stood behind him and he was so wide that I couldn't see the rest of the game. Wilt was more than a full second faster in the 40 meter dash. George and North Carolina-Asheville face No. Also, Wilt was defended rigourously probably even more so than Shaq today. Unknowingly Andre would also go on to become the basis of the infamous Obey street art symbol and later clothing brand. Does is tell us something we didn't already know? Im not saying he needs a lot of help. "There was no 24-second rule or three-second rule back in the 60's". Wilt Chamberlain, although a great center, played in a totally different era than the center's of the 90s. By visiting Celeb Heights you agree to its. Archived post. Transition from Kareem/Waltons era to Shaq/Dekes era, Draymond Green Returns To Warriors Starting Lineup For Game 7 Against Kings, Dillon Brooks Fined $25K For Skipping Media Responsibilities, Julius Randle Expected To Miss Game 1 Against Heat, Erik Spoelstra On Jimmy Butler's Ankle: 'We'll Just Have To See', Jimmy Butler And Tom Thibodeau: Kindred Souls Turned Rivals, Zach Kleiman Non-Committal On Dillon Brooks' Future With Grizzlies. Wilt Chamberlain's emergence in Kansas. teams. During his senior year of high school, George dislocated his right kneecap and was out for eight weeks. Getting 50-some points, or even 60-some, wasn't news when Wilt did it. Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. In this pic he is clearly smaller than KG: Garnett came into the league as a soft lanky SF who didn't want to play the post, which is why he lied about his height. It's difficult to appreciate just how tall Kareem was until you see him dwarf Dwight. He has won five NBA championships, three Finals MVPs, two league MVPs, is a 15-time All-Star, and an All-Star Game MVP. I tell him my mom is busy and cant call him, so Ill represent both of us, and I will also share his thoughts with an eager nation. 07, 2021 in McDonough, Georgia. After getting into an argument with Jim Brown about who was faster he raced him twice and beat him both times. Its like comparing Barry Bonds to Babe Ruth. Originally abouncer and cemetery plot salesman, he landed his first roleas a character called Bare Knuckles in the NBC seriesKlondike, however hisbreakthrough film came in the 1974 along sideBurt Reynoldsin the originalThe Longest Yard film. After taking over the team during Duncan Robinson's exit, the "Big Fundamental" continued to bring success to San Antonio alongside Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. He made the first of his 15 All-Star Games in his debut season for Orlando and was the league's Rookie of the Year. Wilt Chamberlain is widely considered to be one of the greatest and most dominant players in NBA history. Currently, he is a well-known analyst at ESPN and a famous businessman. Not only because of their overlapping histories, but because of their shared approaches. Third, he'd lead the league in shooting percentage for guys over 15 points per game. People have always been confused about what Wilt was about. His parents separated when he was 2 years old, and his father, Ken Sr., received primary custody of his only son. Shaq then left for Miami in 2004. Born in 1890 and one of the first successful tall actors in the early days of cinema, there were a lot of reports circulating of just how tall he was. Notably, according to a resurfaced article, Wilt believed that NBAs tallest player ever, Gheorghe Muresan, was better than Shaq. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. Skip Bayless explains why he feels Shaq 'is underestimating himself' by ranking him as the fourth-best center of all time. Shaq has dealt with a few decent guys taller than him in Yao Ming, Sabonis, Bradley, ilgauskas and Dikembe Mutumbo as well as fellow dominant 7-footers like Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Divac etc. He hit the floor, and when they examined him, he became the first and only player ever to suffer a dislocated shoulder on a blocked shot. // Kareem Abdul Jabbar Height - CelebHeights.com Then I saw him dunk a ball so hard that it hit the court and bounced straight up back through the rim again. There are basketball players out there who clearly have had acromegaly at some point, but if its controlled and treated, they can play and have a normal life expectancy, Thorner said. Comparing Shaquille O'Neal vs. Wilt Chamberlain Physical Data: 4. - MSN Wilt Chamberlain had more competition back in his day than there is today. There were no sissy flagrant or hand-check fouls during that time. I see Shaquille as a man totally playing his own game of basketball. But since hes gotten healthy, he is. // ESPN.com - Page2 - Shaq beats Wilt Wilt ran a sub-eleven second 100m, a forty-nine second 400m in sweats, and a 1:58.3 second 800m. The league is full of 300-pound guys who will be glad to butt heads with him, like two bull elephants, and its going to wear him down. Muresan can be seen in Eminemsfamous music video My Name Is and also got a starring role alongside Billy Crystal in the 1998 comedy My Giant earning him the number one spot on our list of the top 10 tallest actors of all time. And I think its strange that every time someone tall and black comes out of college, hes compared to Wilt. All rights reserved. This led to a myriad of small roles through out the 1990s for Shaq, most notably Kazaam & Steel. He transformed each one into a virtual volleyball game, smacking down any would be attacks to the basket). I dont hate it, but there are times I wish that I werent so tall, George said. He has been measured barefoot at over 7ft 1 several times while at Milwaukee Bucks. Wilt Chamberlain and Shaquille O'Neal will forever be linked together since they were both physically dominant superstars that changed the game and rulebooks forever. Wilt Chamberlain is widely considered to be one of the greatest and most dominant players in NBA history. FIFA World Cup - Best Goals from Every Angle, Draw for the FIFA Women's World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023. Ive seen Shaquille make one jump shot. So to sum up: Wilt was 1" taller without shoes, had 1" longer arm span. There were of course people we wanted to includelike Hodor,Treebeard & Big Hero 6 but unfortunately they were either not tall enough to make the cut or not played by actual humans, thanks to CGI. Clyde Lovellette of the Celtics knocked a couple of Wilt's front teeth into the roof of his mouth on one play. ", "People lose sight of the fact that Wilt was a 440 champion, a guy with great coordination. His first breakout role on screen was as Bigfoot in the televison show The Six Million Dollar Man and his most famous role was that of the lovable giant in the 1987 The Princess Bridebased on the childrens fantasy classic of the same name. In fact, the only centers ahead of him in win shares happen to be Artis Gilmore and Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt got his bench press up to 500 pounds. Wait, what is this thread for? Tim Duncan is undeniably the greatest Spurs player of all time. Is this the real difference in height between KG and KAT? Shaq had a successful four-year stint with Orlando. Chamberlain gave an interview when his book Whos Running the Asylum? came out in which he spoke about ONeals playing style. His athleticism was unheard of for a guy his size in that day, and that's how he averaged 50 ppg for a couple seasons. . Aside from being a 7-foot tall giant, his body mass was insane too. Kareem was TALL and Wilt was MASSIVE - RealGM Offensive goaltending was instituted during Russell's senior year in college (1956). The list put Shaq fourth among centers, behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell. VanderMeulen shipped them to a New York City shoemaker who cut off the soles and toes and reshaped them into 25s. During the final (1972-73) season of his career, his coach came up with the idea of taking him out of the game with about two minutes to go in the first quarter, then re-inserting him after about two minutes had been played in the second quarter. [CDATA[ amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "plus2clothing-20"; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_title = "Richard Kiel Flicks"; amzn_assoc_linkid = "9a0710c7d6609f1c99f244bc7b3a8192"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B009G85ALG,B002EXET1M,B009G9YES0,B004U8ZH8S"; amzn_assoc_size = "autoxauto"; // ]]> Former NBA basketball giant Wilt The Stiltholds many basketball records still to this day, his most famous one being the only player ever to score 100 points in a single game you have probably seen the famous photo of him holding up a sign with the numbers 100 on it that later would become the basis for the ever popular 100 emoji. Home; Comments; Latest; Celebs My Height; Top 50; Youtube Videos; Add a Comment 367 comments More importantly . Chamberlain gave an interview when his book , The host asked what his thoughts were on some players that were playing that night, and the first name that came up was. Shaq finished his Hall of Fame career with stints with the Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers and Celtics.

Hurricane Patricia Highest Wind Speed, Disadvantages Of Chemical Synapses, Articles W