radiolab galapagos transcript

radiolab galapagos transcript

You just put your hands around. But on the other hand, he might have actually been like the worst possible candidate for last of his kind. They kidnapped some people, including some of my crew and they even killed dozens of tortoises, slitting their throats. Listen, wherever you get your podcasts, I'm john, I'm robert Krulwich, this is Radio lab today, a whole hour on the Galapagos islands. I like to think of it as a kind of Darwin finch. It's our new membership program and it comes with awesome perks, ad free listening, bonus, audio content, live events. So his name is, he is a naturalist guide. That's what I thought. You can buy it at home depot but there it is in the Galapagos and along this path just looking to the right and the left and then she just starts counting the number of invasive species at 1234 as you can see here, it's only right next to the trail but not so much for them. Yes. Report for Radio Lab. For the medium is a check for the large Chee Chee wow. WebRadiolab live "Apocalyptical" In the fall of 2013, Radiolab toured North America with an ambitious multimedia live show called "Apocalyptical." As of September 2020, Radiolab is hosted by Latif Nasser and Lulu Miller. The show focuses on topics of a scientific, philosophical, and political nature. The show attempts to approach broad, difficult topics such as "time" and "morality" in an accessible and light-hearted manner and with a distinctive audio production style. Yeah, it's P. H. I L. I can't spell out loud Phil or L. O. R. N. I. S. D. O. W. N. S. I. Filan is actually means bird loving. And you do that every two weeks for a year. So she would end up relying on their songs. Radiolab ' s first nine seasons (February 2002April 2011) comprised five episodes each. Subsequent seasons contained between nine and ten episodes. Season 15 began airing in January 2017. In 2018 the show's seasonal and episode format became obscured when online content moved from radiolab.org to wnycstudios.org. Well, I talked to one scientist sonia klein door for I'm professor in animal behavior at flinders University, south Australia. They basically got their home back. I wanted to borrow someone's gun. It's called Penta. Okay, so here's a wood plaque That says Lonesome George is the last survivor of the dynasty of land tortoises from Pinta Island and in fact in 2012, after decades of trying to get him to breed lonesome George Dies. Now most of these plants are actually probably harmless and you know like you said Galapagos national park they spend tons of money, tons of time trying to keep invasives out. This is the villain. IBM is using artificial intelligence technology to help businesses solve real world problems such as extending the life cycle of our world's critical infrastructure. I really do because it has the potential to be incredibly anti basis from W. N. Y. C. Studios and the bell. Ariane wack pat, Walters and molly Webster With help from Bowen wong. And what makes it so perfect for tortoises is in the dry season in Galapagos, the guru, a which is a very, very thick mist comes onto the island. Let's go back to a better time. WNYC I've got my thing over here and you got your thing over there. He never really liked other tortoises much. You had plants re emerging, you had trees growing back and in a really short period of time. And then dropping to the ground, the last goat or two might sort of run into a area where it's impossible to reach. Today we begin on a plane which carried our newly married producer, tim howard to the Galapagos. That was a big problem for dire into power and then the islands come into sight. Scientists tried everything humanly possible to get lonesome George to mate with another tortoise so they could resurrect the species and bring Pinta island back to its original state. They don't know the exact date. What's that? I began my work in Galapagos in 1981. Well they needed the goats because well yeah, there was a problem of people Because during the 90's these demonstrations started to happen, demonstrations of outrage, violent activity, constant conflict to explain. So while we were in the highlands of santa, Cruz hunky took me through the woods to meet this guy named Arno. silly. This next part, it's about how far we're willing to go to get something back that we've already lost to restore a place in a creature to its wild state. No. And I'm like, what are you? Oh my God, there are these three massive tortoises just clustered together under a tree. So we we just sat in the forest and we would always quiz each other. We ask deep questions and use investigative journalism to get the answers. I didn't say it was silly. I guess. just a boom rod. What if in fact life is purely changed. Listen. Scientists first began to see this in 1997 when they started to find nests full of dead baby finches. It has a terrible common name in english. Galapagos You know, on average 50% of your genome comes from your mom and 50% from your dad. Mhm. Radiolab: Galpagos on Apple Podcasts And basically when you have only judas goats meeting up with other judas goats, then you can say the goats have been eliminated, you're done A point, they got to at least on Isabella in mid 2006. And he says he would go on these dives. Someone chopped it in half. You're saying this pinto DNA was on another island. But compared to the medium tree finch is they are because the medium tree finch is were on the brink of extinction. Right? Yeah. My name is Gisele. It's kind of late, the sun is just starting to set. You could see the marks where it was just chopped up. He sat there getting more and more and more frustrated and finally he just blurted out shoot that tortoise and quit wasting our time because in his view this the single individual was holding up this huge conservation opportunity. WebCommission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. So I took the plane from Kyoto. They showed me where the traps are trapped hanging from a tree here and you see them actually all over santa cruz. They sterilize them and put them on pinter. Galpagos. What if on these islands, thousands of tourists arrive every day carrying fruits and chocolates and souvenirs jumping from island to island. So where your values lie. So they called around offered huge cash rewards. So it's a lot. She thought, God why can't I tell these finches apart? My name is, he's an ornithologist from the University of Vienna. Hey listeners, this is molly Webster. Not on Penta that had a lot of Penta D. N. A. I remember very clearly the moment was very very exciting. He says that when he first got to the Galapagos in the eighties, he couldn't believe that the place was real. So many kids want to make a change, but a high school girls volleyball team is redefining what it means to play together. See? Lava flows are like 1000 sea iguanas taking a sun bath. People sent in dozens of tortoises but linda took one look at them and was like no, no no, no they weren't pinto's. Galapagos WebWe are dedicating a whole hour to the Galapagos archipelago, the place that inspired Darwins theory of evolution and natural selection. Do you remember the song types? 24 June 2012. Oh yeah. Radiolab And then everyone gets shot except the judas go, they let it go find more friends and then everyone gets shot except the judas go and then they do it again, everyone gets shot except the judas goat. It's white and it's really loud. He's adorable. Nearly 200 years later, the Galpagos are undergoing rapid changes that continue to pose and perhaps answer critical questions about the fragility and resilience of life on Earth. Yes, this fellow, he's a well known tortoise researcher. And sometimes when they were done and the ship was filled with whale products, there's no room down here. It's a race against time. By the ocean of breath twice, I remember I carried your oxygen. The finches look similar but their beaks were always a little bit different and this gets them thinking what if it isn't the way that everybody always says, what if God didn't create every single species in the beginning and leave them unchanged? This one, which first aired in 2014, tells the strange story of a small group of islands that keeps us wondering: will our most sacred natural landscapes inevitably get swallowed up by humans? Transcription for Galapagos - Radiolab | PodScribe Surely in four generations you could have 90% of the pinto genome restored. Let me start by telling you about the tortoise. You know, Galapagos was really isolated, barely any cars. It's relatively easy to remove 90% of a goat population from an island. I felt violent. Well these are very purist sort of visions. Radiolab The test-writers definitely listen to this podcast to get ideas for science passages The science passages you see on the LSAT often have to do with evolution, psychology, and interaction between humans and nature. I think yeah, whatever bugs might have snuck out of the plane. We've done so much on the show since last summer. It rolls over this forest and it catches in the branches of the trees. This hour we take a look at what happens when we all try to live together. We have at least five species that are known to be facing extinction and another six in serious decline. And so the technique that we would use was you would fire up your helicopter, you fly around, you'd find some goats, capture goats, capture them live and then come back back to base camp, offload them and you put a radio collar on them and you throw them back on the island. Sign up (https://radiolab.org/newsletter)! We had just finished the honeymoon that morning. That's right. Hello Gisella. He was on santa cruz Island having dinner with some friends and we got into chatting about tortoises and one of the people he's eating with says, hey, I was recently on pinata Island collecting snails and I saw this tortoise and I thought, do you know what you have done? I'm just I'm robert Krulwich, this is radio lab in this hour. Galpagos - Radiolab 1. I worked for island conservation and I'm based here in the Galapagos islands carl's actually the guy who showed me those tortoises, it was just a, it was a barren landscape, barren, barren grounds. She points right next to it. But that's the only possible the first day. Radio lab is supported by the john Templeton Foundation Funding research and catalyzing conversations that inspire people with awe and wonder learn about the latest discoveries in the science of well being, complexity, forgiveness and free will at Templeton dot org, As our co-Hosts Lulu Miller and Latif Nasser are out this week, we are re-sharing the perfect episode to start the summer season! We are ascending and we have our dreams. Um, me and Brooke, they make announcements and at a certain point, the flight attendants, they open up all of the overhead bins and they walk up and down spraying some sort of insecticide for what for like invasive species. And what happens is that as soon as birds start laying eggs, mother flies swoop in and lay their eggs on the base of the nest underneath the finch eggs. Miller and Latif Nasser are co hosts. You know, they eat goats in africa, you know, why don't you get lions on there? Normally with people, nothing like. That's. It's such a perfect day for toward us hunting. I'm Robert Krulwich. 179 years later, the Galapagos are And then, um, I actually didn't get back there for maybe 15 years from when I was there the first time and when I returned That forest was 100% gone. And the pinot tortoise went extinct. We said goodbye to Jad abu Murad. Here's Kareem Yousef, the general manager of AI Applications at IBM, I'm standing on top of a suspension bridge, I've got a vast view in front of me. We celebrated our 20th anniversary. Everyone held out hopes for just finding more tortoises back. But to give an example of the nature of this business that's josh Donlan, he runs an NGO that was involved in project Isabella. But it's an average. But if the hybrids do have a fitness advantage and if they survive, we may be witnessing in hyperspeed the creation of an entirely new species. So you're saying that that that the call, let's go back to when it was good. This is radio lab and we are dedicating the entire hour to this little set of islands and to that question as the world is filling up with more and more and more people, Is it inevitable that even the most sacred pristine places on the planet will eventually get swallowed up? But at the time the immediate question was, are there any more because if they could find a female for George, then they could, you know, maybe de extinct the species. We don't think it was natural Gisella thinks it might have been the whalers. WebWe are dedicating a whole hour to the Galapagos archipelago, the place that inspired Darwins theory of evolution and natural selection. Transcript. Yeah, mother, mid eighties. Hey, it's latin.

Shiawassee County Police Scanner, Legal Ethics In The Practice Of Law Pdf, Articles R