is ferry morse seeds owned by monsanto?

is ferry morse seeds owned by monsanto?

You disagreed that I said "a better understanding of an issue was gotten, simply by 'getting the word out'", which was not what I said. Infowars, the site where the article came from, is not at all what I would consider an unbiased source of information. Keeney & Son joined together. Burpee gets $0.10 of it, marginalized Asian Indian farmers producing it get $0.05 of it (I'd rather buy US seed, but cheap hybrid seed is usually produced there which at least helps very needy and hardworking people), Florida gets $0.03 if I paid sales tax on retail seeds (can't remember) UPS gets $0.01 of it. People tend to gloss over all the grey, and even white, areas as a way to paint the entire issue as something to be reviled and hated, something to be fought against. 'Any talk of avoiding the seeds for purchase is circular logic - intended to manipulate people by bullying the and using fear as a weapon'. If you feel I have offended you in some way and you want to respond, then I will continue until you feel satisfied. African Daisy Mixed Colors Flower Seeds (Seed Packet) .22-Gram. Founded in 1856, Ferry-Morse seeds have been sold continuously since before Abe Lincoln was President. No company sells GMO seeds to home gardeners. Thanks for pointing me in a direction to find a better list of Seed Companies that are owned by Monsanto. I do not grasp the gravity of GMO seeds? Between 1996 and 2007, Monsanto, the largest supplier of genetically engineered (or GMO) seed traits,2 acquired more than a dozen smaller companies,3 and it now controls 60 percent of corn and 62.5 percent of soy-bean seeds and seed trait licenses in the United States.4 And once again - there is the old 'debate theories and rules,' that you have decided apply to our conversation. If you can tell their ideology from the title, it probably isn't. The list isn't just what companies are actually owned by Monsanto, but it also includes seed companies that simply sell some Seminis seed. That's fine, but that does confirm my conclusion that we are not a good fit for a conversation and it has not been constructive, for me. Although, how do you easily find out who owns these companies? Two posters before you objected to how riddled with false information the linked article that forms the basis of this thread is. An awareness, not a better understanding. What, remove names once someone finds an inaccuracy? for pricing and availability. Again, thread was how to avoid planting GMO seeds. I don't think that that is a very reliable list. LOL! NotMonsanto. I read the Wiki synopsis of the film and it reports that Indias farmers dispute claims that Monsantos crops require less pesticide or produce higher yields. The Company is Part of a Massachusetts based privately owned gardening company known as plantation products. Again, Nobody, including Monsanto, will sell them to the Home Gardener. Ferry-Morse. Is Ferry Morse owned by Monsanto? 1% retail connection and then made to look as "owned by"? I had no intention of starting a GMO discussion. If you support their companies, you have no idea what they are doing behind the scenes. It is my assumption that they are losing money on home garden seeds since production has to cost them more than their tiny sales, and they just keep it going so no one accuses them of discontinuing popular American tomato varieties. D.M. Ferry Seed Company - Nursery and Seed Catalogs - Research Guides tomatoman-"Tomato Growers Supply Company is a family-owned small specialty seed company founded in 1984 by Vince and Linda Sapp. The 'foodandwaterwatch' link doesn't work, but it is two years old. It doesn't matter to activists that it has been debunked, and the falsehood is repeated, for whatever reason, by people who wish to gain public attention. 0000007704 00000 n The observation that you think I was referring to you or labeling you, is incorrect, and I would counter that you clearly are labeling yourself. [3] At the same time, the Detroit Seed Company was absorbed into the new corporation. If you want to find out who owns a company, go to the website of the attorney general of the state where the company is located. Five Ways the FDA Has Failed Consumers on Genetically Engineered Foods 2013, http://ecowatch.com/2013/03/07/fda-genetically-engineered-foods/, USDA will not take action in case of GMO alfalfa contamination, http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/17/usa-alfalfa-gmo-idUSL2N0HD1SQ20130917. [11], In 2005, Groupe Limagrain sold Ferry-Morse to Jiffy International. It was established in 1896 by Dr. Albert Edward McKenzie, and claims to supply 60% of Canada's packet seed market. Two publications that came to mind are the Christian Science Monitor and Mother Earth News, a magazine that has been in business for 35 years. I use $0.50 worth of seeds each year from it. [And now you]. In 1999, a group of seed catalog companies, led by High Mowing Organic Seeds, teamed up to create the Safe Seed Pledge. And is that the only such story about the effects of Monsanto and their seeds and the biotech seed field? I have no complaint about you personally, only with the incompatibility of our conversational style and how that interferes with us gaining any ground in either of our positions on this issue. If you want to be sure of what you are buying, buy by variety, not by brand. I dont find this constructive at all, so Im sorry but Im going to end here. Zach - I havent forgotten your post. Do you see yourself as above the fray? You have used it a a major component of two posts. . And are you then saying that because the story about India was not completely accurate, that means that there is nothing to fear? California now has the same disease. McKenzie products are available in over 4,500 garden centers, independents and major retailers across Canada. Add to Cart. If I were trying to vote with my dollars, I would direct my attention to commercial products such as Roundup and Miracle Gro, or more directly, the Zima grape tomatoes in the supermarket (link), a Monsanto conventional product not available to home gardeners. [10], In 1981, Ferry-Morse became part of France's Groupe Limagrain, the largest seed producer in the world. On one hand, you object to boycotting Monsanto seed companies, on the other youre willing to offer suggestions on hitting their bottom line in other ways, as long as that doesnt jeopardize the tomato varieties that you dont want to lose. Dr. Thomson was forever proud of his Worlds Fair Gold Medal in Science and Industry awarded to SUPERthrive in 1940. This kind of statement makes the conversation now about me and keeps diverting the conversation away from the topic and adds lengthy discussion back and forth about me. And Im sure that can be useful and beneficial, but sometimes our best strength can become our biggest weakness. Initially, I did not respond to this because although you framed it in an appeal to dire consequences, you carefully put a disclaimer transferring the burden of fact-checking to others. trailer <<3F3A45F4763244699204DF9EADBED2DB>]/Prev 598269/XRefStm 1737>> startxref 0 %%EOF 576 0 obj <>stream We are not well suited to discuss controversial subjects with each other. I do not think Better Boy or the entire home garden seed market makes any difference to Monsanto. I am not an evangelist, simply a critical thinker who keeps their faith to themselves and encourages others to respect the belief of all just not to manipulate others with the sort of false, misleading & manipulative, and incomplete information which activists on both artificially created poles routinely are doing. - Do you realize that the dictionary definition to call someone out is to challenge someone to a fight? It is also false to say non-GM cotton is not available in India. I only insist on using good references and doing a little fact checking. I completely agree with you, that we do dive headfirst into what is considered 'progress' and in the process we let go of what is very valuable and sometimes priceless then only in hindsight, do we acknowledge or understand what we've done. The only reason I did in this instance was because so much was said about the original link being suspect. Prior to his work, tomatoes were considered ornamental rather than edible! I stick to the few seed companies, who I think take avoiding their seed pretty seriously. 0000519553 00000 n Rather than bow, I will use the word "succumb". 0000017030 00000 n Large companies, consolidating and growing into mammoth organizations, to me, are responsible for a lot of ill effects in the world. False is false. Maybe it was her fault for misunderstanding something or maybe it was the fault of whatever she read, but the fact is that all the vague (or downright inaccurate), sensationalist, and/or fear mongering information regarding GMO's and Monsanto that is out there is not really helping anything. Is that your point of view? What is it that you feel I am bullying you into doing? Again, I am worried that the consolidation will cause the loss of many varieties, and I think the original post calling for a boycott will only accelerate that since the home garden market is negligible. Would never use a lawn service and have explained the problems of them to my neighbor who did and doesn't any more. They shipped them the next day and I got them three days from when I ordered them. Articles like that are written for people who think that every nonsense thing they read on the internet is true. :-)". It is possible that some companies are not eager to advertise what they own. Their focus is on preserving varieties of seed that gardeners and farmers bring to North America when their families immigrate (d), and traditional varieties grown by American Indians, Mennonites and the Amish. I would like a list of seed companies that Monsanto owns so I can avoid them. It's rhetorical. Besides which my overall choice to garden organically was made over 30 years ago, and open pollinated and non GMO seeds just fits right in with that point of view for me. Do you usually answer questions with yes or no answers? The question means, that based on all the preceding explanation I gave of the difficulty I was having with the conversation, why would I want to continue it? I think you should support seed companies that you can trust, that are working hard to keep seeds GMO free in the future and who work with people they can trust. And complete information doesn't exist, there is always some amount of information that is unavailable to us. Similarly, Monsanto has the rights to Better Boy, one of my regular tomatoes. Is Ferry Morse Seeds owned by Monsanto? I remember in a Facebook gardening group about a year, maybe a year and a half ago, a conversation came up about GMO's, Monsanto, and Scotts/Miracle-Gro. (And FYI has been working on GMOs) Worse then Urban Outfitters, which has modeled clothing after Nazi Death Camp uniforms and been cited for use of (possibly involuntary) child labor? To do that you just can buy any home garden seed you want. I have been buying most of my seed from FEDCO the last few years. McKenzie Seeds - Wikipedia I'll have to look for them, to see if I can't expand the seed companies I do business with. One is a technology and one is a company and equating them continuiously stymies critical thinking by fusing them together. No. I see some noble motive given to something, like trying to cure disease attached to the pursuit of biotech methods, but many other motives become more the focus as that pursuit develops. It is not a solution to me. Compare $ 2 49. All Ferry-Morse seeds are 100% Non-GMO. What people seem to neglect in the conversation, is there is another side to the issue of genetic engineering.First, some things I will agree on: The overuse of herbicides and pesticides in agriculture and the GE of crops to resist the harmful side effects is cause for concern. Perhaps they were a little more subtle. Monsanto isn't the only company that makes GMO cropswhy does everyne get worked up over Monsanto, and no one talks about Syngenta? There have been remarkable and beneficial gains made through their scientific research. If anything the larger companies have less questionable variety development. That is an analysis of my part of the conversation and intentions and a label that youve added to describe your interpretation of it. Since 1897, gardeners have trusted American Seed to provide the best value in the marketplace. If you want to avoid using GMO seeds, here is a list of seed companies owned by Monsanto. And if it is a fact, that due to the way in which Monsanto was allowed to introduce GMO cotton seed in India, that there is now no non GMO seed available there, then how do we unring that bell? Only if you are trying to convince them of something. No problem. Thanks for the rest of the links. Live the Garden Life with garden to table recipes and home decor! Those are the only tools I find useful as an independent thinker in the undecided category. PDF Monsanto's Seed Company Subsidiaries - Food & Water Watch 0000510282 00000 n Jiffy created another industry breakthrough with the Jiffy pellet. I do not doubt that your intentions are to find accurate, truthful, and complete information but intentions and execution are two different things. My participation in this thread stems from the desire to see first-hand experience, accuracy, truthfulness and completeness in evaluating any product. 0000536287 00000 n Ferry-Morse also set the industry standards for seed quality including insisting upon seed freshness and testing germination rates. I'm going through them all :-). This is all I need to know.>>> OWNED BY MONSANTO OR SEMINIS OR SELL SMALL PERCENTAGES OF SEEDS FROM THEM. I put your complete, and in context quote in your original words above my reply. The miniscule home gardening operation those operations developed is one of the principle sources that most seed companies we purchase from get their seeds from and rebrand from. What a person intends and what they end up doing are not always the same. (all are Big ag GMO producers). I never would have guessed. That property is bordered by Second and Third Avenues on the east and west and by Burroughs and Amsterdam Avenues on the north and south, the city's northern limit at that time.

Premiere Pro Audio Out Of Sync After Export 2021, Tengo Un Hueco En La Muela Y Me Duele, 100m Sprint Equipment, Articles I