catalina 22 mast crutch

catalina 22 mast crutch

P.S. Mick, I did exactly what you are asking on my setup and it works just fine. 2018 Internal Medicine of Northern Virginia. Heres a tour of the rig tied down just before I step the mast. The exterior has padded seats on the on-deck seating to join the Captain. Ive been using this lazy jack system continuously for six years and I still like it. After the mast is down, you need to unpin the mast step . Im a DIY guy as well and love your site! Then the upper shrouds begin to tighten and they hold it centered the rest of the way up. I read about it on TropicalBoating (https://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/the-perfect-solo-mast-raising-system-for-small-sailboats). All Rights Reserved. If youre not already a follower (subscriber) of this blog, sign up and youll also receive my next newsletter. That would probably work fine. The rest of the process would work the same. How We Removed our Catalina 22 from a boat trailer on land 14,093 views Jun 29, 2019 134 Dislike Share Save Liz McCafferty - Seanachai 980 subscribers This video shows how we removed "Seanachai". Fits virtually any boat with an outboard rudder (see the Mast Up Cockpit version for through-hull rudder boats). Whenthe mast is vertical, I reconnect the forestay and forward lower shrouds using quick release levers. With the trailer winch? document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 2023 Catalina 22 Capri. These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time with or without notice. During testing, the mainsail battens fouled in the lazy jacks more often than not since the lazy jacks were only a few inches apart to start with. I can point Summer Dance into the wind and drop the mainsail neatly into the cradle in seconds. Alex. Its made partly of regular rope and partly of shock cord. Thats right, Jim. But hey, its like having a built-in boom kicker! Or does yours have some reinforcement? Ill describe two ways that I step the mast, including one way that doesnt use a gin pole at all. I have replaced the shock cord once but the rest of the system hasnt experience any noticeable wear. Offset to one side a little, you should still be able to use your rudder to steer. gudgeon mounted on the stern of your boat) or 5/16" or 1/2" gudgeons Thats kind of hard tovisualize, so heres a short video that takes you on a tour of the setup. Request a Price. These 1,617 students were selected from over 68,000 applicants from across the country to continue through our selection process based on their academic excellence, leadership,and service demonstrated in school and community activities. with an outboard rudder (see the Mast Up Cockpit version for Call +1 833-471-7100 for pricing. I have a C-25 with swing keel so most of all your tips are applicable, very nice, and handy. I see that the boom is removed of course in your video. Although normally thought to release histamine related to the allergic response, multiple other chemicals are felt to be released in this condition responsible for this myriad of multi-systemic symptoms. I use a combination of DIY mast supports, motorcycle straps, and inexpensive ball cords to secure the rig. One crew member pulls on the forestay while another pushes on the mast. I marked the bottom cut-outs by placing the PVC on top of the bow pulpit and tracing from below. Ideal for short handed mast raising. You wouldnt need to be concerned about painting or rust. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. This is my first cruiser (purchased in July) and Ive much to learn from your blog. You can pin the boom to it similar to how I do it to my bracket. Some pretty interesting ideas here, Im borrowing some, especially related to the sails Thanks! The total cost was half the price of the commercial version and in some ways, works even better. The system I use relies on a small right angle bracket. Step Good afternoon Ken, i have a mac 25 that id like to incorporate your ingenious system to,however, i want to eliminate the top segment & install something about a foot out on each spreader but am wondering if i need to use swivel blocks on the spreaders or will eye straps work ? These 1,617 students were selected from over 68,000 applicants from across the country to continue through our selection process based on their academic excellence, leadership, and service demonstrated in school and community activities.. Walk the mast aft and drop the mast foot into the mast step on top of the deck, keeping the mast in center line of boat, insert the pivot bolt and locking nut. The Catalina 22 Owner's Manual and General Handbook is pretty brief on the subject. I have a home-made A-frame that connects to the two front-lower shroud chainplates. class of Coca-Cola Scholars, the Foundation has provided more than $, 0 program alumni who together have become a powerful force for positive change. But that will cause it to turn from an M shape into a upside down U, where its strung across the two mid-height eyelets. There are a couple of industrial metal suppliers in my area that sell their cut-offs retail to the public by the pound. Not sure how to go about raising the mast without helpeven with this setup. They are currently submitting their Semifinalist applications to be reviewed . Adding a simple but sturdy mast raising system is an easy way to alleviate these problems. With theaddition of the2022class, theCoca-Cola Scholars Foundationwill have providedmore than6,600CokeScholarsnationwide withover$78million in scholarshipsover the course of 34years. Secure mast to the bow pulpit. It includes a hold down strap. I use this method when its windy, when Im setting up in a unlevel area, or on the water when its choppy. Offered By: Fox Yacht Sales-Four Gulf Coast Locations. Both are fast and mostly use the boats own rigging and very littleextra gear. 2015 Catalina 22 Capri. Northern Virginia is the largest market for data center space in the U.S., home to 4.6 million square feet (SF) of commissioned data center space, representing 616 megawatts (MW) of commissioned power, according to market research from datacenterHawk. Ive found that having them a different size and color than my running rigging helps to distinguish them when setting up the rigging. These dimensions basically divide the mainsail height into quarters with the lazy jacks spanning the lower three quarters. This new design mast carrier kit rests on the bow pulpit of your Catalina 22, Capri 18, Capri 22, or Catalina 25 (standard rig only). also do you think that 3/16 shock cord & lines will be ok ?just out of curiosity what is the swivel block shown in the 2nd picture down, on the starboard spreader on your boat used for ? I want to thank you by offering not one, but two free bonuses to my blog followers. How to you lower your mast? Keep my mast in tune without having to loosen and re-tightenthe shroud turnbucklestostep the mast. Well, I think they're 25' and at 1.05 -1.11 lbs/ft it's somewhere between 26 and 28 lbs add head, step and misc hdwr maybe 40lbs tops. . If you believe in the rulethat you should have a backup for every critical part and system, then you also need a backup mast stepping plan even if you normally step the mast with the factory recommended method. There are many lazy jack kits available, from simple stationary setups designed for boats that spend most of their lives in slips to complicated retractable systems that you can work from the cockpit. You could use a 6" section of PBC slipped over a 7" section of black pipe for a roller. No power information has been offered for this location. Im a bit confused about one thing though. A Chevy Bolt is ablaze in a garage near Ashburn, Virginia There were 6 Chevy Bolt fires last year that led to a recall, and the ink is still wet on the "final fix" announcement.Today news . Ive since revised the drawing to show the hole 2 up from the bottom of the inner tube. I also have a C22 & I am about to employ your lazy jacks, but I was considering doing away with the top segment and securing the middle segment to the spreaders through an eyelet riveted to the top of each spreader about a foot from the mast. Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation is a tax-exempt 501(C)3 nonprofit organization. I hope youve picked up some tips from this post that you can use to optimize your mast stepping systemandspend more time on the water. At the bow, my mast is tied down using my bowline and the DIY timber A frame mast crutch tied down at the rear with a rope tied to cleats on either side of the transom. The otherside the bracket points upward and has a 1/4hole throughit to act as a hinge for the gooseneck (stationary lower) end of the boom. Otherwise, you might be looking at extensive fabrications or commercial mast stepping hardware with a winch. I wonder if mounting the ropes at the base would be less apt to damage them if the mast were to go somewhat off-center (to the exrent the upper shrouds allowed)? We are pleased to share the names of our 2022 Coca-Cola Scholar Semifinalists! Use it to buildyour own and save some money for something else. Use on land or water. 29772 Clear Lake Rd I was wondering if anyone in the years since you first posted has tried your suggested mods, eliminating the upper segment, its connection to the upper mast, the twings and connecting the jacks directly to the spreaders? I finally understand the function of a gin pole and how to use it. Almost always, I lower the mast without using the boom as a gin pole even if I raised it that way. to choose for your Mast Up. Did you ever do it? It's 8 feet and I just hoist the mast up onto it before using the A-frame up front and it's wonderful. I have or can get the rest of the stuff. Theyre almost perfectly aligned with the tabernacle. After this review, 250 will advance as Regional Finalists, with 150 becoming Coca-Cola Scholars and receiving a $20,000 college scholarship. A smaller sailboat could indeed be trickier to step the mast single-handed since it has less rigging to aid the process. But when I try to lift the mast with the forstay cant do. Its something of a prerequisiteto be a stingy sailor. trailering or storing. On Summer Dance, I attached the top segments to the mast with eye straps angled 15 degrees down and aft (to bisect the lower segment). JavaScript is disabled. They are currently submitting their Semifinalist applications to be reviewed by our Program Reading Committee. $tingy. Welcome to the Catalina 22 Experiment We call this site the Catalina 22 Experiment, but it is really for any small sailboat owner. My question is on the size of the shock cord you used and size and type of the line. I took the metal and my drawing to a local welder who advertised on craigslist.com. at the mast step. But what if you dont normally have a second able crew member? if pop rivets are the only way to go would ss rivets have to be used & if so, what would you have to do to prevent corrosion between the different metals ? The only system that Ive found that combines good function with trailering convenience is the Sail Cradle Mark IV from SailCare. Thanks for the video on the no pole lift, thats pretty much how I need to do it though I usually am working on the hard before getting a lift in. W have a bond-family. His nurse said that everyone should be looking out as I'll be kick Read More, 1860 Town Center Drive #230 Reston, 20190Virginia. One side of the bracket is bolted through the mast step and the cabin topin front of the mast. You might consider modifying my crutch design so that the bottom end rests in the cockpit sole forward of the transom instead of on the rudder gudgeons. Lay your material centered across the top of the pulpit, trace the railing edges onto the underside of the material, then cut a little at a time until the saddle sits down securely over the rails. Hi Ken, I just found your site. Can you suggest a structurally sound way to secure the boom to the loop for lifting/lowering? YOUR POST. 1,557 high school seniors have been selected from 91,000+ submitted applications from across the country to advance to the next stage of our selection process! Catalina Direct, publishers of the Catalina 22 and Catalina 25 Owner's Handbooks and the largest supplier of parts and Lewmar winches for Catalina Yachts in the country. You are Read More, You transformed our entire family from one whose future looked destroyed to a family that now holds a future full of good health and happiness Read More, The treatment that I was receiving prior to Dr. Shor was not helping me progress toward my resolution of my fight with Lyme disease. Mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) This is a condition that can be associated with signs and symptoms involving the skin, gastrointestinal system, cardiovascular system and frequently neurologic complaints, such as cognitive fog. It holds the mast very solid that way. Ive doused my mainsail into these lazy jacks in tempests several times without harm. Its free and you can unsubscribe at any time but almost nobody does! I spoke to my fabricator friend about using aluminum and, him not knowing about the stepping process was most concerned about the hinges holding weight while trailering over the road. Learn how your comment data is processed. that is an ingenious way to raise a mast,nice work ! Thats a lot of info. Copyright 2023. Learn how your comment data is processed. Mast Complete C-22 <-85 Shop by Category Back Shop by Category Deck Fill Pipes & Caps Engine Back Engine Fuel System Froli Bed Springs Garage Sale Back Garage Sale Line Remnants Back Line Remnants Dacron Line Halyard Line Wire Remnants Back Wire Remnants Coax Duplex Triplex Fourplex Handbooks Lifelines, Stanchions, Pulpits Lenny, . For mast raising and lowering, I have it a little easier with a 16ft boat, and can raise the mast single handed juat by manually lifting and walking forward in the cockpit and onto the keel case with the hatch slid forward, although I usually have my wife tension the forestay for some extra assurance. Ill be looking forward to hearing from you. I have the quick release for the shrouds. The last newsletter went out on May 21 titled Whats Your Favorite DIY Project? Support lines called guysposition the lifting end over the object that israised. Seeing your system to step the mast, Im trying to adapt it to my boat, a 82 French Rocca Super Chausey. The mast is supported on both ends and in the middle. A big stick. Also, it's pretty much going to be my wife and me, and she's very leery of having to help me do it. Love your vids on raising mast. Good morning fellow sailor & thank you for the speedy reply & the information, hopefully ill put it to good use ! Mick Hodapp. If you usually have another experienced crew member aboard, that person can gather and tie down the mainsail and you dont need lazy jacks as much. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. I also made one modification to eliminate the top segment entirely and instead secure the middle segment to eye straps mounted at the midpoints of the spreaders. They dont have to be very strong. Find a piece of heavy gauge aluminum channel that you can cut into a shape similar to the C-22 tabernacle shown in the picture above. See my other videos on how to rig the boom as a gin pole and to step. ( were in the Pacific) Any input would be greatly appreciated & thank you ! Tie the mast and boom securely to the bow and stern pulpits. Hence, nothing for the mast to pivot on. Lazy jacks can be one of the most complicated rigging systems on a trailerable sailboat but they have a simple function. Stay tuned because Ill be publishing a post soon about choosing and using a furler with a trailerable sailboat. At the end of a trip, I never look forward totearing downSummer Dance, pulling her out of the water, and tying her down for the ride home. Grab 'n Go Hook . When its time to haul out and go home, you simply disconnect the shock cords, stow the system tight against the mast, and the boom can come off without any dangling lines attached. It's made partly of regular rope and partly of shock cord. You can see it in action in the last two videos. Learn more at, California School of the Arts - San Gabriel Valley, King Drew Magnet High School Medicine and Science, Cab Calloway School of the Arts High School, Friendship Public Charter School: Collegiate Academy, District of Columbia International School, Design and Architecture Senior High School, Polk State Lakeland Collegiate High School, West Florida High School of Advanced Technology, Walter Payton College Preparatory High School, University of Chicago Laboratory High School, Northside College Preparatory High School, Spoon River Valley Junior-Senior High School, Randolph Southern Junior-Senior High School, West Washington Junior-Senior High School, Patrick F Taylor Science Technology Academy, Roger L Putnam Vocational-Technical High School, Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science, Springfield High School of Science and Technology, John D O'Bryant School of Math and Science, Benjamin Carson High School of Science And Med, Lake Crystal Wellcome Memorial High School, Douglas County West Community High School, Northern Burlington County Regional High School, Middlesex Cty Acad for Allied Health Biosciences, Leon M Goldstein High School for Sciences, High School for Math Science Engineering CCNY, Fiorello H. Laguardia High School of Performing Arts, Long Island Lutheran Middle and High School, Science Technology Research High School at Erasmus, Queens HS for Information Research and Technology, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Brunswick County Early College High School, Pennsylvania Leadership Chrtr Sch: Univ Schlr Prog, William W Bodine HS for International Affairs, Little Flower Catholic High School for Girls, Barack Obama Academy of International Studies, Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School, Mayo High School for Math Science and Technology, Lake Marion High School and Technology Center, Liberal Arts and Science Academy High School, Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Memorial High School, Michael E Debakey High Sch for Health Professions, South Texas Business Education and Tech Academy, Northern Utah Academy for Math Engineering & Science - North Campus, Maggie L Walker Governor's Sch Gov't Int'l Stds, Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Tech. Ive read about lots of different systems. Sure beats my system of using 2 sons to help out, theyre never around when you need them ! Thanks. Most people use the trailer winch to help raise and lower the mast. Start by subtracting one foot and test the system for a while to see how well it works. Its free and you can unsubscribe at any time but almost nobody does! I have seen about 32 in the last 10 years. Improve your sailboat's performance, safety, comfort, and appearance! Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more! I highly recommend this Project. I attached the stationary ends of the shock cords to eye straps angled up and aft on the mast at about boom height. Did you ever modify your lazy jacks to terminate at the spreaders instead of the mast? Please try following again and if the error repeats, send me the text or a screenshot of the error so I can investigate. The spreaders hold the lazy jacks open instead. He also suggested using a beefier thickness if choosing aluminum just like your suggestion. the reason i ask this is that i have never used a pop rivet tool & dont want to buy one unless its necessary. I dont want to miss any more. Youre right. Rivets arent required and you could use tapping screws with the same results. My C-25 teak companionway/hatchboards need replacement after 20 years, probably all standing rigging needs replacement even though it all looks fine at deck level (in the Lake continuously since 08), etc., etc. Sorry for my ignorance. Fits virtually any boat The side stays prevent the mast from falling over and the backstay will prevent it from falling too far forward. These 150 high school seniors will each receive a $20,000 college scholarship and join a family of 6,750+ alumni who are leading positive change in their communities and around the world. Our boat's previous owner had welded some gudgeons onto a steel 'T'-section fence-post, and welded a 'Y' to the top, painted the whole shebang black and that's our rear mast support for trailering. Subscribe now and you'll receive notifications of new posts by email so you won't miss a one. I shared the 2017 DIY competition on Small Craft Advisor Magazines Facebook page and I noticed the 10 most popular projects linkmost of which are on my to-do list! I dont recall exactly where I got them but if you search for Sea Dog Hammock Hook, youll find multiple options. Does your block & tackle include a ratchet or brake? If I ever get a larger boat, that is one thats on my short list to consider. I use the standard C-22 main sheet tackle which has a 3:1 mechanical advantage. Do you use your mainsheet tackle when lowering? I do that sometimes. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. In the case of a sailboat, its just a long, temporary lever. I uncleat the main sheet at the stem plate first and then hold light tension on the main sheet while I getinto position toresume raising the mast. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Ideal for With such a system, it's easy to do the job singlehanded unless the wind is blowing hard. It is a permanent winged keel configuration. I used the d-rings without any blocks and the line moves freely through the d-rings. Step 3: Mast Up! When it comes time to put Summer Dance on the trailer, I unhook the ends of the shock cords from the boom, clip them into the lower eye straps and loop the slack under the mast cleats. You can see the whole main sheet in the video in Quit Spending Setup Time on Turnbuckles. Winch-powered mast raising systems are a good choice for owners with impaired physical abilities. Being an armchair engineer qualifiestoo. Good luck with your projects and thanks for your question! The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. I raised my mast by hand the first time I owned the boat. When were tied off at the dock, the cradle makes flaking the mainsail properly easier than before because its partly done already. Second and more importantly, youd need to lift the furler as well as the mast somehow. Stats are good. Other than doctoryou are the only MD that seems to be connected with the patient Read More, Dr. Shor, You have helped so many people and I would love to write a testimonial. Hmmm, this asks more questions for than answers. The Catalina 22 Experiment > Project Gallery > Mast Cradle You can buy a very nice Mast Cradle from Catalina Direct or you can build your own. I would think it would be closer to the bottom end of that range. Due to the many possible variations in sailboat rigging, I dont offer a kit. I also watch the stays and shrouds to be sure they dont catchon anything as they raise off the deck. If you would be kind enough to send a pic of what ever type of pulley system i would greatly appreciate that very much. Just had lunch with a friend last night and she said she couldn't believe how much my health has c Read More, When I first met Dr. Shor, I was in intensive care, 29 years old, and frightened. The distance isnt critical but depending on how tight the fit is between the inner and the outer tube, the hole might work better even farther up the inner tube.

Grand Oaks High School Student Death, Glastonbury Luxury Accommodation, Articles C