allentown teacher suspended

allentown teacher suspended

HANNITY: CAPITOL RIOTING EXPOSED 'MASSIVE VULNERABILITY' IN SECURITY -- AND AMERICA'S ENEMIES TOOK NOTE. Moorehead had the opportunity to return to work for well over a year and chose not to do so.. Moorehead said he was offered his job back under the condition he undergo racial sensitivity training. I was trying to highlight what I believe is the double standard that often exists in the media when theyre looking at two different events from two different political groups, he said. I definitely have some conservative values and beliefs, but they have never taken part in what I do in the classroom, Moorehead said. said community member Enid Santiago. Moorehead said he longs to be back in the classroom. Was the Allentown teacher suspended after, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Was the Allentown teacher suspended after attending Stop the Steal rally within his rights? "Mr. Moorehead had the opportunity to return to work for well over a year and chose not to do so. Instead theyre trying to figure out what to do now and its double down, dig in the heels.. In 1964, Illinois school teacher Marvin Pickering wrote a letter to his local newspaper critical of the administrations spending on instruction and athletics. First Amendment scholars weigh in, Few leads, false alarms as search for Texas gunman drags on, Serena Williams reveals second pregnancy at Met Gala, At least 6 dead after dust storm causes crashes on Illinois highway, May Day: Worlds workers rally, France sees pension anger, a victim of cancel culture and that his reputation has been destroyed, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. "Because he's a white Christian, conservative male, they politically assassinated him and destroyed his career," he said. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. Wisconsin legislators are poised to accept the state's share of a settlement stemming from a multistate lawsuit accusing drug manufacturers and distributors of contributing to the nation's opioid crisis. His attorney Francis Malofiy said that despite a strongly worded letter to school administrators demanding an apology for the public statement placing Moorehead at the scene of the attempted insurrection, the school district has been silent. I dont know how I can get that trust back. He said he was never a part of the violence on Jan. 6, but that the school board painted him as an active participant in the riots., When the district finally admitted to me privately that I had done nothing wrong and that I could return, they refused to let the community know that I am safe, to alleviate both their fears and my fears about returning, he said. It gives people in the United States the right to speak their minds, worship, gather and support the political candidates of their choice without fear of being silenced or punished by the government. While the First Amendment does not protect private-sector employees from being fired for what they say, government workers have legal recourse if they believe they have been wrongly terminated, Zirkel said. Allentown Middle School Teacher Suspended After Jan. District spokeswoman Melissa Reese referred questions to district solicitor John Freund III, who said the district is still conducting a full investigation of the teachers involvement and is unable to comment on details of the investigation, in the interest of proceeding in a professional and proper manner with all regards for the teachers rights.. Police arrest suspect in April shooting, McCarthy touts U.S.-Israeli ties on trip underscored, Candidates can cross-file in Pennsylvania Primaries, Suspected burglar found sweeping inside TN home, Al Da con abc27: Evento Trash Can to Treasure, White House estimates 20K Russians killed in Ukraine, Hunter Biden in court over child support payments, York County jury convicts man of third-degree murder, Pennsylvania State House forms Black-Jewish Caucus, Sen. Casey showcases federal funding in Perry County, Lancaster Police investigating shooting death, BestReviews.com - Top gifts to make everyone happy this spring, Surprise your mom with one of these Mothers Day, Mothers Day inspo: This foot massager has 20,000, Drew Barrymores Walmart collection is perfect for, Best Mothers Day gifts for the budding plant mom, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. He called the districts actions defamatory and said they have destroyed [his clients] life.. Does it make it more difficult for the school district to operate? said Hobie Webster, a Pittsburgh employment lawyer who represents school districts. If youre thinking of altering your workout routine, youre probably looking for new exercises and equipment to help you reach your fitness goals. For example, a teacher cannot ask to search a bag that looks weird and bulgy for drugs based only on the look of the bag. The court ruled that the questionnaire disrupted the office and dealt with office politics and not matters of public concern. Until the district completes the investigation and makes a decision on his status, the teacher is still receiving pay and benefits. Other people reportedly have lost their jobs because of their involvement in the riot. Allentown School District said in a letter Jan. 8 that it was investigating the teachers presence at the event but did not name him or the school where he worked. After the districts investigation was complete, he was given the opportunity to return to work, but would have been reassigned, Freund said. The school board fired Pickering, saying that his letter was rife with inaccuracies and its publication was detrimental to the school district. Texas attorney Paul Davis was fired or resigned from Goosehead Insurance after posting videos during the riot, The Houston Chronicle reported. Schools cannot discriminate against you based on your sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. All rights reserved. Asked what he was trying to convey with the posts, Moorehead said he was not mocking Black Lives Matter or antifa. . I dont know how I can get that reputation back, Moorehead said in a telephone interview Saturday. That to me is too close to what the First Amendment is about in terms of protecting the democracy by protecting political speech, Zirkel said. The driver who struck and killed an Allentown teacher's aide outside a city high school in September will face charges, according to a report from WFMZ. Raub Middle School teacher Jason Mooreheads social media posts from the Jan. 6 rally for former President Donald Trump in Washington, D.C., began circulating in Allentown on the afternoon when the world watched in horror as protesters stormed the U.S. Capitol. Like us on Facebook: PhillyVoice He took a few photos showing he was there. Perry Zirkel, a retired Lehigh University professor and expert in education law, said a school district would be unable to justify terminating a teacher on the basis of endorsing a political candidate, even one as controversial as Trump, who is facing impeachment for a second time for inciting his followers to storm the Capitol. Allentown Teacher's If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. President Donald Trump speaks at the "Stop The Steal" Rally on Jan. 6. Morning Call reporter Peter Hall can be reached at 610-820-6581 or peter.hall@mcall.com. We as a community cannot accept nor tolerate this negative behavior., What is he doing wrong? another asked. "It was singling me out that my mere presence at a political rally was somehow tied to racism," he said. Allentown School District board of school directors voted Thursday to fire Jason Moorehead, who was a middle school social studies teacher at the Allentown School District. The chaos in Washington D.C. added to the "confusion and uncertainty" that students are facing during the pandemic, Parker wrote. Moorehead also doesn't dispute that he attended Donald Trump's 'Stop the Steal' rally on January 6, 2021. Copyright 2022 TheAssociated Press. Suspended Allentown teacher says he wasn't at U.S. Capitol Pennsylvania middle school teacher rightfully suspended over possible involvement in Capitol riots March 22, 2021 by Kavita Sundaram Photo by BBC Protesters break into and riot at the capitol. student to be charged following teacher's fall The district will not make any premature statements about any conclusions reached until the investigation is complete, and cannot allow the media attention available to the teacher to usurp the districts process, he said via email. Pa. Teacher Suspended After Jan. 6 Fired For Not Working Malofiy said he believes district officials reacted rashly to the outcry over Mooreheads social media posts from the Trump rally and said his client has been made a victim of cancel culture, in which people are penalized for their political beliefs. Know Your Rights: School Dress Codes and Uniforms Allentown School District board of school directors voted Thursday to fire Jason Moorehead, who was a middle school social studies teacher at the Allentown School District. School operations at Kraemer Middle School were suspended for the day after an assistant principal apparently took his own life Monday morning in a private area 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. The district has received notice Moorehead plans to take legal action in Lehigh County Court, but a complaint has not yet been filed. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 4/4/2023), Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (updated 1/26/2023). We understand that many members of our community are upset by the image, the letter states. At the same time, the district has an obligation to respect the First Amendment rights of our staff and students., Moorehead posted a picture of himself wearing a Make America Great Again hat and carrying a Revolutionary War flag on Facebook with the caption Doing my civic duty. He also shared a tweet by someone else that said, Dont worry everyone the capitol is insured, to which Moorehead added This.. The Allentown School District will conduct a formal investigation into the role that one of its teachers played in the U.S. Capitol riot. All Rights Reserved. Suspended Allentown teacher claims he wasn't anywhere near Get local Breaking News alerts sent directly to your inbox. Know Your Rights: Searches of Students | ACLU of Northern CA Allentown Teacher Suspended After Jan. 6 Fired for Not Wisconsin Legislators to Consider Opioid Settlement Payout. Pa. Teacher Suspended After Jan. 6 Fired for Not Working - US (Associated Press). "I love working in that school. Libby Andrews, a Chicago-based real estate agent, was fired after her social media posts about storming the Capitol were identified by several people and sent to her employer. All rights reserved (About Us). Parker and School Board President Sara Brace declined to provide additional details or identify the teacher, citing it as a personnel matter,TheAllentown Morning Callreported. He also claimed the board colluded with community groups to attack his character, being called a racist and a white supremacist. ALLENTOWN, Pa. - An Allentown middle school teacher who was placed on leave after attending a Trump rally in Washington D.C. on January 6 is n. The uproar was enough for Allentown School District to suspend him with pay while it investigated his involvement in the days events. He said his address and phone number have been posted online. Are other banks to follow? Legal Statement. If it turns out that while he was down there he was one of these guys running around without a shirt on putting his feet up on peoples desks, we would have a very different case.. I never wanted to leave, Moorehead said. He is currently under a paid suspension as "Is this the kind of person that we want in our school district spending time with our children and influencing minds and hearts?" Speaking to the board Thursday, Moorehead said the board fed the community lies. Teacher suspended for attending Capitol 'Stop The single word This, has become shorthand for expressing agreement with a quoted statement in many internet forums. On negative responses to his social media posts, Moorehead said he does believe that joining thousands to listen to the former president speak and form his own opinions is a civic duty. "While we all have the right to express ourselves, it is important to do so respectfully," the letter said. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. They could face penalties ranging from fines to prison time. Published: July 31, 2022. Allentown School District board of school directors voted Thursday to fire Jason Moorehead, who was a middle school social studies teacher at the Allentown School District. No, period, he said. Allentown School District board of school directors voted Thursday to fire Jason Moorehead, who was a middle school social studies teacher at the Allentown School District. Supporters of President Donald Trump climb the west wall of the the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, in Washington. The Allentown School District has 22 schools and more than 16,000 students enrolled, according to theFuture Ready PA Index. ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) A Pennsylvania teacher who was suspended last year during an investigation into his attendance at, and social media posts about, the Stop the Steal rally which later turned to a deadly insurrection on Jan. 6 has been fired for refusing to return to work. Russia missile attack on Ukraine injures 34, damages homes, May Day: Worlds workers rally, France sees pension anger, FDIC recommends raising insured deposit limit for businesses, What the Tech? "I'm being fired for refusing to come to a place that is unsafe, a situation you guys created. Assistant principal kills himself at Placentia middle school, officials Thus, Zirkel said, courts use a three-part test to determine if a public employee is protected by the First Amendment: Was the expression part of the employees duties, or was it as a private citizen? Looking for something special to get your mom for Mothers Day? Moorehead, a social studies teacher at Raub Middle School in the Allentown School District, has gained national attention. WebThe Allentown Police Department will host the city's first Youth Academy as part of its ongoing plans to increase outreach into the Allentown School District. I was trying to highlight what I believe is the double standard that often exists in the media when theyre looking at two different events from two different political groups, he told Smerconish. Capitol rioting: Trump, McEnany condemn storming of Congress. ", "When the district finally admitted to me privately that I had done nothing wrong and that I could return, they refused to let the community know that I am safe, to alleviate both their fears and my fears about returning," he said. Please enter valid email address to continue. A 2006 ruling in another case involving a prosecutor established that public employees are not protected when they speak in their official capacities. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area. Moorehead called the violence at the Capitol Building disgusting and is steadfast on the fact that he was on a bus to head home when the Capitol Building was stormed. More dry than wet overall, but still cool and unsettled. Asked what he was trying to convey with the posts, Moorehead said during a CNN interview on Jan. 23 that he was not mocking Black Lives Matter or antifa. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Moorehead said the day after the January 6th riots, the Allentown School District suspended him and put out a press release that read in part that a staff member was "involved in the electoral college protests that took place at the United States Capitol Building.". My best friends are there. said Christine Condon, who also participated in the meeting. Hannah Kanik He failed to return. ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) A Pennsylvania teacher who was suspended last year during an investigation into his attendance at, and social media posts about, the The Allentown School District has fired a teacher who was suspended after going to Washington, D.C. for the so-called Stop the Steal rally, which became a deadly insurrectionist riot that took over the capitol building. The superintendent continued, "We understand that many members of our community are upset by the image. Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. Allentown teacher suspended "In less than a week we accrued more than 600 signatures that I can gladly send over to the school board," said community member Pas Simpson. ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) - A Pennsylvania high school teacher has been charged with having sex with a minor female student he began tutoring earlier this year. He explained his position on those posts to Action News: "There had been riots and protests, where they were excused away that the damage that was done was acceptable, because buildings and private businesses were insured. And the rest are too afraid to stand up and do whats right, Moorehead said Thursday night. His attorney said in a Jan. 23 telephone interview, Mooreheads participation in the Trump rally challenging the presidential election results that preceded the attempted insurrection is protected by the First Amendment. There was an error processing your request. 2023 WWB Holdings, LLC. Can my school conduct a random "Never within a mile of that place. Jason Moorehead doesn't deny he is an unabashed Trump supporter. App of the Day: Poolsuite FM, What the Tech? I am none of those things, Moorehead said Thursday. Saucon Valley must allow After School Satan Club to meet, judge rules, Katy Perry 'will be replaced by a big-name star on American Idol', Popular doughnut shop nearing completion of 2nd regional location in Bethlehem, Human remains identified as missing Stroudsburg woman, ASD teacher placed on leave over Washington protest says he did nothing illegal, is being harassed, Parents in Allentown School District weigh in after teacher involved in protests put on leave, Allentown School District OKs contracts for training, laptops in preparation for hybrid learning, Allentown School District OKs amendment to student search policy, Teacher who attended Jan. 6 'Stop the Steal' rally fired from ASD, Lower Macungie Community Day to feature food trucks, petting zoo, more, Toxic chemicals in Emmaus water could cost at least $24M to fix, 'Can't wait to see everyone': After 3-year hiatus, beloved Easton deli nears reopening, How do you know your money is safe? "Taking part in assembly is an important part of our rights, so my point is you have no right to violate his constitutional rights," said Nicholas Maxell, who also participated in the meeting. Thousands of people are there, and only a few are doing the rioting and destruction.

Weald Of Kent Grammar School Teacher Suspended, Scarsdale Pedestrian Killed, Articles A